Sunday 30 May 2010

Journey through Lurionas (Story)

I am going to write a story in lurioneski, both to improve my vocabulary and to further work out my conworld and conreligion. It is written by a Karvokan called Παυcαнιο (Pausanio; reference, anyone?) son of Fastizar ("thickface"). I'll post the first few lines here, where he explains why he is making his journey.

Παцcαнιοц Φαcтιzαрοцι Καрцοκαα
by Pavsanio Fastizarovi from Karvoka

Ποιᴧειc мε eκεκαcтрαc цαтαυн мε тαтιεн διεн ποιωнтιεн "ἑδε" ἁυтιεc αнαᴧeгοнтιεc "нε οιδιc?" Ι eαнαᴧeгω "гαр нε οιδω." Mεтα ὡc нε πειнοнтιωc ιнοc, цαᴧтε ῾eι ᴧαнгει ᴧeгοмα, αυтрιωc ᴧυрιοнωc cмικрυ οιδωмα.
(...)
Many had asked me why I did this journey, "or", answering themselves, "don't you know?" I answered "because I don't know." Because they didn't understand, [I said] that we, although we speak one language, know so little of the other luriones.
(...)

---
Edit: more paragraphs of this story will be posted under the tag 'diu'.

3 comments:

  1. Of course, Pausanias! yay! Hahaha. Now in all seriousness, I like the choice of the reference. I was wondering if he wrote in Karvokan accent style or in Lutian (which, correct me if I'm wrong, seems to be the standard). And this takes me to the other question I made. Is there any kind of Koiné Lurion, and if so, which is it? and is he writing in it?

    I very much like the fact that you wrote the piece in a quite oldish-like style, very greekish, the "or" inserted there and then the other option, a nice stylistic choice. I like it as a more literal translation and other translations could be made less literal and more stylistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it.

    Yes, he speaks/writes with a Karvokan accent; there is no reason not to, as he is speaking to his fellow citizens. I do not think it will make that much of a difference, though. Lutian is considered the most proper accent.

    I'm glad you like the style. He will change grammatical structures quite rapidly, even within sentences, and will omit trivial words (e.g. "I said"). Also, he will use a lot of participles (as is common in lurioneski).

    I might add a grammatical translation, as well as a more readable and poetic one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would very much like to see those kinds of translations. It would really be great and allow us to see all the little features that come in play so wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete